Contract Essentials Course
Your Shortcut to Mastering IP Provisions
Finally feel confident drafting and negotiating intellectual property provisions by taking this Contract Essentials course. Learn from Laura Frederick what you need to know to work on IP provisions in your commercial contracts.Sign Me Up!
Our Contract Essentials course will help you ramp up your expertise and skills so you can draft and negotiate IP provisions with confidence.
Here's what you'll gain from this game-changing experience:
- Comprehensive understanding of general IP concepts: Develop a strong foundation in intellectual property, from intangible nature to statutory limits on ownership dynamics.
- Essentials about each type of IP: Improve your expertise by focusing in on what contract drafters and negotiators need to know.
- Detailed word-by-word explanation of each of the 16 parts of a standard license provision: Learn what each word means and when to change it.
- Practical insights into key IP issues: Laura will teach you core concepts about IP ownership, explain the licensing landmines in SaaS and other cloud terms, and how to get your IP assignments right.
What you'll learn from this course
- Module 1 - Core intellectual property concepts
- Explore why we must approach IP provisions differently than other terms and the conceptual nuances that create confusion.
- Module 2 - What you need to know about IP types and ownership
- IP law is expansive and difficult to master. We'll focus on the key concepts about each type we need to know working with typical commercial contracts.
- Module 3 - Deep dive into IP license provisions
- Learn the 16 parts in in a typical IP license provision. Laura explains one-by-one why it is there, when you need it, and how.
- Module 4 - Digital licenses and other IP provisions
- Learn how to navigate when you need an IP license and when you don't. Review IP-related provisions to make sure you know how to craft your contract.
- Module 5 - IP assignment concepts
- Learn how assignment provisions work in the real-world and how to draft and negotiate them so you don't leave your client exposed.
- Module 6 - Ask Laura Anything
- Audience members at our live workshop asked Laura to explain challenges and questions from their day-to-day experiences with contracts.
How to Contract's practical training programs are making a difference to lawyers and professionals around the world.
We really, really, really want to help you master IP provisions, so we've included TONS of extras
Laura's IP Playbook in Excel
Provisions, alternatives from each side of a deal
2+ hour audio recording
Listen during your break or on your commute
Slide deck and transcripts
Follow along as you watch
Laura's IP tips and cartoons
Laugh and learn :)
Loads of job aids
Checklists, negotiation scripts, practical guides and more
Bonus video training
Access extra IP training
Meet your instructor, Laura Frederick, Founder and CEO of How to Contract
Laura Frederick is a technology transactions lawyer by training. She worked on IP contracts throughout her career. In this workshop, she'll share the expertise she developed through her experience in Big Law and as in-house commercial counsel at a variety of companies including Tesla.
This workshop is for you if you want to expand your IP skills and truly understand how to approach these critical provisions and concepts.
- Contract managers
- Procurement managers
- Startup founders
- International lawyers
- Legal operations professionals
- Contract tech product teams and programmers
- Risk managers
Can I share the videos, slides, and playbook with others in my company?
Do you have other Essentials courses I can check out?
Is CLE available?
Does the How to Contract "Happiness Guarantee" apply to this course?
I have more questions!
Sign up for the free How to Contract newsletter.
You'll get our weekly newsletter with a selection of contract tips, upcoming events, as well as other updates and announcements.